Friday, August 24, 2007

PAX

Flight went smoothly, with minor shenanigans for Mason.

Shuttle ride was crammed tight, but pretty and amusing, with good conversation w/ a man named Gordon.

Hotel is very nice, and very close (one short block).

Convention goers are amusing, fairly easy to start random conversations with (when I dare).

Long line is long, but long line is also fast.

Free Bawls!

Lots of stuff for play everywhere, short to medium lines typically.

No line for Geometry Wars: Galaxies! IS FUN!

Microsoft wins a large batch of special brownie points. They have a lot of floor real estate, with lots of playable games and demos, but nearly 90% of it is devoted to an array of comfy comfy couches. Some are set to face their demo screen, but most are set up in circles for people to come, sit and chill. Way to go.

Rock Band line is long. I'll do that later. Looks awesome tho.

Bumped into the occasional Threadless fanatic (yay!).

Got to shake hands and shoot the shit with The Front himself, as well as get a signed t-shirt.

Long second line is also long, but also fast.

Wil Wheaton gives a FANTASTIC keynote.

Gabe & Tycho follow up with a hilarious Q&A session, which, by the end, devolved into interpreting anything said as lewd.

Followed up that with a surprise "Q&A" with Uwe Boll -- they wanted a "Villian" for a Q&A session, and managed to get him at the last minute. Walked out after he rambled for 20+ minutes w/o taking any questions.

Watched a kickass DDR freestyler dance alongside a speed-freak bar-holding chump (sorry, I've got no respect if you don't manage your own weight).

Back to hotel, took a shower, and am about to go out for a fine steak dinner.

On the side:
PAX != E3, but PAX >> E3
(that's much greater, not a bitwise op)

Pictures later if they don't suck!

1 comment:

Mason said...

By the way, there's no truth to the rumor that Gordon's last name is "Shumway".

I'll write my PAX experiences on my blog tomorrow. I've been busy and trying to deal with some e-mails (and read baseball box scores) when at the hotel room, so blogging (and dealing with most of the e-mails, especially ones that require a nontrivial amount of academic or Legends work, have also gone by the wayside --- yes, I'm actually having a real vacation this time!).

As for my pictures, I have a special one in the Microsoft booth that I will describe (the main Microsoft PR guy at PAX wants me to send him a copy) and I need to relay the picture-related story of the horried booth babe. (I'm pretty sure her horrified facial expression will be visible on the picture, but this wasn't taken with a digital camera, so we'll see about that later.) I also took a photo of Lemming at the Microsoft booth that turned out really well.

Oh, and Wil Wheaton demands more Freebird.

And at dinner tonight, I was asked if I was a vegan (after ordering beef ravioli). The slip was actually a very understandable one, so I'll explain how that happened.

More tomorrow (though on a slightly different channel)...