Thursday, August 09, 2007

Cool Photos

I'd like to recommend CatDancing's (my mom, yes yes, hilarity ensues...) Flickr stream, seeing as it's the source of over half of my (large and growing) collection of desktop backgrounds. She's also quite hip -- ever since mid-June she's been licensing under Creative Commons (attributed, non-commercial)! I would like to endorse, in advance, every single link in this post as being highly click-worthy. SRSLY.

First of all, she has a knack for capturing some inspiring sunsets, a staple of any good desktop collection.

She also uses her macro lens to great effect, seeing intricate details we might otherwise pass by without even noticing.

Naturally, there's also the occasional Caturday shot.

She has numerous photos from last summer's Hawaii trip. This hike/swim ranks as one of the coolest things I've ever done -- that's me and Rob down in the water.

I expect J&L will appreciate this flower.

Last, I'm actually going to include my absolute favorite. Every time it comes up in the rotation (my desktop automatically changes every 15 minutes) I hit F11 (show desktop) and admire it for a second.


(For space reasons, she typically only has resolutions up to 800x600 or so posted, so I find myself constantly pestering her for originals.)

5 comments:

Mason said...

Very nice!

It's been quite a while since I carefully arranged lots of photos for my desktop backgrounds. I typically download a bunch of stuff on occasion (say, desktop wallpaper from the Wizards website) and then not bother adding anything new for months or even a couple of years.

I only went through the links you included (because I don't feel like going through the sheer volume of photos in an entire collection at the moment). I especially liked the very detailed photos that show the patterns one finds in nature. Mmmm... morphogenesis (pattern formation) is such a neat subject to study, although that's a subfield of nonlinear dynamics where so most of the big problems that are left seem to be the really hard ones. (As in other fields, what is happening is that the subdiscipline's purview is expanding. Some of the stuff I do overlaps with it a bit, but none of it is part of the core subdiscipline.)

The picture you indicated J & L would like is a bit... suggestive.

Lemming said...

It's a calla lily, and their wedding had lots of calla lilies.

I guess it could be a bit suggestive though, Georgia O'Keefe and all that.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for those really cool words.

Lanth said...

I have to admit a similar longing for a macro lens; Weronika just got a camera with one, and her pictures of bugs are really cool.

I'm a sucker for closeup photos with unrecognizable sources, so I especially liked the fridge frost photo you linked :)

Anonymous said...

These are some great photos, and I especially like the macro shots. I've added the photostream to my Flickr contacts.