Downloaded it last night (for 360), gave it a spin -- I like. I will definitely be purchasing this game, though I guess I already knew that...
If anyone has played System Shock 2, some things are going to be familiar. Finding a wrench to defend yourself, rushing through an airlock, getting radio assistance from some mysterious benefactor the whole way...
That being said, it's very cool. The atmosphere is really gripping -- it's got immersion in spades, and I lessthanthree steampunk. It handles very well for a console FPS. My aim was far from perfect, but I always felt comfortable controlling it. Oh, and the graphics? Awesome.
Stylistically, the best comparison is probably to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, if you've seen that.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm definitely going to get it as well (it's been on my drool list for at least a year now), although I may end up just forcing Z to play while I watch.
My two main concerns are how difficult/pervasive the FPS elements are, and how severe the creepiness is. I have no FPS skills (and no desire to attain them), and an absurdly low scare threshold (Buffy kept me up at night). Thus survival horror is clearly not my ideal genre, but I'd really really like to explore the world they've made.
It's very much not a run-and-gun game, so you won't need FPS skills nearly as much. They'll certainly come in handy, but thinking strategically instead will save a lot of hassle.
Example: At one point near the end of the demo, mobs start pouring in after you. Rather than frantically shoot at all of them (not easy!), I backtracked, hacked a turret and a sentry bot, and promptly hid in the toilet. I emerged a minute later to loot the remains.
On the other hand, yeah it's a bit survival horror. I think it'll have a lot less outright scares than, say, an RE game, though, as it's angling for creepy rather than scary, far as I can tell.
I'd say it's worth giving a shot, maybe even on easy to make it easier to just explore the gorgeous world, and if that fails, I doubt it'll be hard to convince Z to play in your stead.
Post a Comment