Thursday, January 18, 2007

Travel UPDATED

So, I notice that I have a 3-day weekend Feb 17-19th. I'm considering driving up to the Bay Area then. Well, I'm gonna drive up at some point in the next few months, and at this point that weekend seems like a good time for it, so I just thought I'd throw it out there.

UPDATE: Since part of the reason for the trip is so that my brother can take me up to the snow to faceplant, a 3-day weekend is actually a bad idea (crowds == teh sukk). Instead, maybe I'll negotiate shifting that holiday around and driving up either the leading or following week. ponder.

5 comments:

Mason said...

I might be up for going with you. Keep me posted.

If I miraculously get certain things done by then, the chances will be decent that I'll be up for going.

Cheryl FM said...

Dude! There you are! Dancing? :) I suck compared to you, but am trying to not suck...

Lemming said...

CHERYL! How's it been? I haven't talked to you since, oh, since you ran Tac Ops for us after Jon's wedding.

I keep moving the date around, but I should look you up when I'm heading up. It might be nice to check out some Bay Area salsa while I'm in town...

Cheryl FM said...

Coolness! :) Eric is a wonderful man, but salsa is one of his exceedingly few "NOT" "things"...dancing salsa with random strangers is fine for the first hour, when everyone has just come from the lesson, but after that, most clubs seem to turn into a meat market. :S

Lemming said...

I hate the meat market -- I can't pick up girls anyway, so I'm really only there to dance.

I have found a couple solutions.

1) Practice nights at the Granada (new location for Let's Dance) are great, and the club nights are still doable if you stick to the Granada regulars.

2) One of the "clubs" I've been to actually had a good, relaxed atmosphere. Steven's Steakhouse, at least on weeknights, is fun. It was recommended to me specifically for not being a meat market, *and* having quite a bit of floor space, once they open up the ballroom.

3) Find a friendly group that does outings together. The *other* group I dance rueda with (RITP) has a regular event email, and there's a more-or-less official hangout spot almost every night.

I'm not sure the best way to track down a good social group to go out dancing with -- OneMike and I got to know some of the RITP people through a mutual friend at the Granada.