Also, Apple noted that they're changing their name from "Apple Computer, Inc." to just "Apple, Inc." Amusingly, Wikipedia already reflects this change.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Apple has done it
I've been following Jobs' keynote over at Engadget, and I'm seriously geeking out here.
It looks like I'll be switching my cellphone provider to Cingular. Geeze, look at that thing! EDIT: Okay, as the geek high wears off, I'm gonna have to think about this. Cingular is not high on my list of desirable service providers, so I'll have to do a bit of research. Assuming they don't suck too much (all of the cellphone service providers suck at least a bit), I'll probably switch, but not without thinking it over a bit.
Also, Apple noted that they're changing their name from "Apple Computer, Inc." to just "Apple, Inc." Amusingly, Wikipedia already reflects this change.
Also, Apple noted that they're changing their name from "Apple Computer, Inc." to just "Apple, Inc." Amusingly, Wikipedia already reflects this change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
The features look good, the being Apple and the non-choice of service providers does not. Ah well, I can hope they haven't patented all of the good ideas in the phone so that I may see some of the useful functionality.
I'm not surprised the wikipedia entry was already updated. I've seen a bunch of entries that indicate as the first or almost first thing the shorter versions of names (like this example before the official change) in common use and then somebody sees the announcement and just changes the first sentence.
Actually, it's pretty heavily patented. The patent applications involved have been one of the primary sources keeping the rumor mill chugging over the past year or so -- many touch-screen patents that people interpreted (and were, to be frank, even disguised as) tablet-directed 'tech, most of which boils to "touchstream tech on a touch screen".
I think many of the essentials are still fair game (they certainly didn't patent the touch screen, or the wide aspect ratio, or the accelerometer...), but few companys have the artistic merit required to create a product that looks that polished. It'll be a while before we see any imitators, and when we do, they'll probably have fins or something.
Scratch that, the patent apps weren't so much disguised as intended for tablet PCs as that's what they originally set out to work on.
details herein.
I was far less interested once they announced no 3rd party apps. If it was a real computer--basically a palm pilot with internet--that'd be one thing, but this is just a super fancy phone now, with high-quality ringtones. Bleh.
Lanth, I agree. At this point, it'll be a slick phone with a lot of polish -- the features are nice (though not fantastic) all in all, but what you're paying for is a good, polished interface.
Sigh, it sucks to leave the Jobs' reality distortion field.
Post a Comment