Thursday, January 11, 2007

Let's play a game! UPDATED

What follows is a themed playlist, but I've only included the artist -- can you figure out the rest?

Score 8 points by figuring out the theme for the following playlist, and score an additional point for each missing song title you fill in, for a maximum of 17 (16 + 1 bonus). Pre- and post-Google scores welcome. :)
  • David Bowie
  • Elton John
  • All-American Rejects
  • Fall Out Boy
  • The Lovemakers
  • The Mountain Goats
  • The Faint
  • Ace of Base
  • George Michael (Super bonus track!)
UPDATE:
I forgot to mention, but I thought I'd give periodic hints. The first isn't much of a hint: the theme is very superficial.

I'll post another hint tomorrow.

6 comments:

Mason said...

I wish I weren't so damn tired because this sounds like fun.

This is not an official guess, but here are my current working thoughts:

The artists here who have songs I know are Ace of Base, George Michael, Bowie, and Elton John. The latter three suggest the theme has something to do with gayness, but I don't associate Ace of Base with that. Of the artists I know, Ace of Base has by far the smallest library, so a more systematic thing would be to think about their song lists (ideally without looking at the albums of theirs that I have).

I'll try to get back to you when my brain isn't so fried.

This is a very cool post.

Anonymous said...

My guess (post-Google):

The theme is the word "dance" (or variations) in the song title.

David Bowie: "Let's Dance"
Elton John: "Tiny Dancer"
All-American Rejects: "Dance Inside"
Fall Out Boy: "Dance, Dance"
The Lovemakers: "Dance"
The Mountain Goats: "Dance Music"
The Faint: "Glass Danse"
Ace of Base: "Voulez-Vous Danser"
George Michael: "Careless Whisper" ("dance" isn't in the title but is in the lyrics multiple times.)

Mason said...

Wow, I wasn't going in that direction at all.

By the way "Careless Whisper" is technically by Wham! rather than being a George Michael solo effort.

Lemming said...

Yup, that's it. For what it's worth, they're all songs I like quite a bit, though in the case of the Ace of Base number it may just be because learning the clogging routine to it was a blast.

Mason -- Thanks for the correction, though I'm too lazy to update the original list. My copy of the song is from his Greatest Hits, further muddling affairs.

Mason said...

Lemming: The small bug didn't actually throw me off, and that one is a really common misattribution anyway. I've seen a number of great hits situations like that. One would then have to look at the credits page of the CD booklet to see that, and most people (which probably means just about everybody other then me in this case) don't bother doing that because there isn't much to gain.

I like this Ace of Bass song, though it isn't my favorite song of theirs.

Anonymous said...

Also, I am totally going to steal this idea... I mean, post a response in kind. (I might save it for Friday, but since my blog has been somewhat lacking in posts lately I might do it earlier.)