- "Free play" gaming areas of all sorts, possibly crowd-limited.
- Exhibition hall where the big boys (and the little guys) can strut their wares.
- Concerts featuring some of the greatest in nerd music, from Frontalot to Coulton.
- Live action collective games, like a version of the old classic, Assassin.
- Afterparties, if I'm lucky.
I'm trying to plan out my supplies, including wardrobe, in advance. I will be digging through my clothes for the geekiest of geek chic, and packing as many portable toys/games/etc as I can manage.
On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for what to pack? I plan on taking a backpack loaded with goods -- I can always ditch it (hotel is a block away) if I get tired of it. I'm thinking I'll load down with the following:
- Paper, pencils, pens, writing surface (for RPGs and the like, as well as notes)
- Dice bag, cards (traditional), cards (MTG, one or two decks)
- Nintendo DS, iPod, cellphone, camera
- Water bottle, red bull, power bar
- Ibuproffen, Excederin, Claritin
- Laptop (too big maybe, probably my battered iBook)
I intend to strike the balance between being totally prepared and having enough room in my backpack to hoard swag. Anything else that might be necessary (or unnecessary) to survive a weekend of gamer nirvana?
Also: there will be blogging from the field if time permits. If time doesn't permit, it just means that yes, it's that bloody good.

3 comments:
I'm going to check a suitcase, so you can put extra stuff in there for the initial trip.
As for my wardrobe, I'll have a couple of gaming type things, but I will also do some sciency stuff to hopefully catch the eye of other scientist-gamer hybrids. I'm thinking 'Flirt harder. I'm a physicist!' is a big win. I'm also planning to bring an FSM shirt, and then maybe do the gamer thing with 'Guns don't kill people. Magic missles do.'
Anyway, that's the current plan, which is subject to change without notice.
I'll definitely be bringing some of the gaming gear as well, and to the type of stuff you mentioned, I'd like to have something like Set and Apples to Apples on reserve in case some people want to do that. (Well, Set takes up no space, but the other currently seems unrealistic even though I'd like to have it with me.)
Actually, I was going to ask if you were going to check any bags, but that was a separate question -- the contents of my backpack on the plane and the contents of my backpack at PAX will certainly be different.
One of the shirts I was planning on bringing was "Stand back, I'm going to try science!" so I guess I was already thinking in that direction, even if I wasn't thinking I was thinking it.
Apples to Apples actually sounds like a good choice, if there's a straight-up vanilla set around somewhere.
I'm also considering trying to find digital copies of a few gaming supplements, if possible. I don't really want to tote around a PHB and the like (esp since I don't know if/what I'll be playing), but having resources in a laptop, tho less convenient, is much more portable.
I have the 3.5 core books on my laptop. There is also the SRD.
Apples to Apples we discussed at lunch. We should revisit the luggage checking thing since there are 3 weeks for me to buy an appropriate suitcase that would allow us to forego checking stuff. (I don't currently own one, as I mentioned.)
For shirts, there is also the 'science is satan spelled backwards'. Also, I was thinking maybe I should wear my 'windows for solitaire' shirt. That one often gets positive comments, and has even caused girls to come up to me and talk to me (against their better judgement, I suppose).
Post a Comment