Monday, July 23, 2007

Daft Post (1/4)

Daft Punk played LA over the weekend, and J&L, M^2, Wendell and I got a chance to go and see them. Z has already posted about it over at Labyrinth.

There were two lines to get in -- one for floor seating (ftw), and one for the balcony/loge areas. I had still just woken up, and made a comment along the lines of, "I guess we got tickets for the floor -- is that good?" Immediately a guy in the other line offered me his ticket plus twice the difference in cash for mine... Considering I would have paid a lot more than I did for my ticket to begin with, I turned him down. (Thankfully, I was coherent when I first purchased the tickets.)

Anyway, we got there near the beginning of the first "set" -- actually a DJ set by Sebastian and Kavinsky (who I kept mispronouncing as "Krevalik" for some reason). They filled in the space before and after the "actual" openers, Ratatat, so that there was never a break in the music. The place stayed lively the whole time -- I kind of wish more concerts used this sort of format, but I'm guessing it's really only appropriate for this genre.

Sometimes they just sounded like J. Random Electronica, but more often than not they were quite catchy. Songs of note during the performance included some sort of a mix of Testarossa (I think, at least, I didn't know the song at that point), and a heavily synthed-up version of Killing in the Name (a good way to win over an LA crowd). I've already picked up Kavinsky's 1986 EP and his Testarossa Autodrive single, both of which I'd recommend.

No comments: