Friday, July 13, 2007

Caffeine

<whineblogging>

Cause, like, it's crunch time. Getting a little bit panicky, but mostly keeping it together. The big project I've been working on for the past few months is nearly complete, but I'm a few days behind with the deadline fast approaching (read: next week).

This is so the perfect time to hear that the chilled water supply to Steele (where we keep our cluster) will be interrupted for maintenance over the weekend.

No chilled water means no air conditioning.

No air conditioning means no supercomputer -- I'm shutting down the cluster right now.

No supercomputer means I can't test my code.

Oh, and turning the cluster back on also takes a lot of time, and is akin to turning the key in an old rust bucket while saying to yourself, "Please start, please please please start..." Monday is going to be a blast.

I do so love ellipses.

Alright, looks like I'm done here (the machine room in Steele) for now. Back to panic-work as opposed to pain-in-the-ass-work.
</whineblogging>

1 comment:

Mason said...

I didn't get a chance to look at the whineblogging until just now. I got up a bit late and had to deal with meetings and getting some work done in the precious few spare moments I had. I did progress a little bit on my archival sequel to my recent dimer paper.

I haven't looked at my slides for my Monday talk for many moons, but my plan is just to talk my slides from my Oxford interview and update them minimally. (The basic plan is to just update the references because all of them have now been published. I might tweak one or two other things, but my basic preparation is basically going to constitute briefly reminding myself what is actually written on these slides.)