Tuesday, July 03, 2007

In Defense of Dickwads

So there's a story over at Boingboing about a tiff between an NBC news crew and a costumed mascot representing Hungrr.com.

Seriously, wtf? The guy was working for a good cause, I'm down with that. Watching the video, though, I've got no sympathy. He's very obviously antagonizing things, intentionally loitering around in the background of the shot. Is/should that really be illegal? Probably not. Does acting like a complete douche end up hurting the cause he's trying to promote? I think so.

Here's what I saw:
  1. Guy's out in a silly suit promoting a good cause. Good so far.

  2. Guy sees a News Crew, and an opportunity for some additional free publicity. Still okay.

  3. News Crew asks Guy to leave, he refuses. Well, that tears it.

  4. News Crew eventually calls cops to escort Guy from the area. I don't really know how I feel about this one.

How is this news? Oh, right, I get it. We're supposed to feel feel sympathy for the jackass, then throw our arms up in protest of the police state we live in (side note: actually a problem!), right? Oh, for fuck's sake, people! There's plenty of bullshit going on that actually warrants getting upset over, we don't need this.

No comments: