Monday, May 07, 2007

I am Conan, the Barbarian!

Today was (finally!) the student showcase at the Granada. You know what? I think it went pretty well -- but don't take my word for it!

Plenty of us made a few mistakes here and there. I missed making one call completely, but it wasn't one anyone really needed (whew!). Shouting at practice for the last few days and then trying to shout over the (even louder) show volume, wow. Voice needs a rest. So do my legs.

We got a pretty good group photo afterwards as well. Unfortunately, a couple got clipped off the left hand side -- I'm hoping someone else's camera got everyone. It's nice, though, that everyone has nice big smiles -- it felt good.

Super-kudos to Bridgette, center front in the yellow shirt, who teaches our rueda class, and organized our performance team -- putting up with us was no small feat!

UPDATE: I should probably explain the title. I called during the performance, at least for the first half -- I called the part that didn't change over the last three days. I don't speak Spanish, though, so I only know the words phonetically. Much like the Governator in his first role in US film: Conan. Thankfully, a few people here and there prodded my pronounciation in the direction of "bearable".

UPDATE 2: A high-res version of the video is available -- big thanks to Zifnab for filming and OneMike for providing the camera and grabbing the video. It's a WMV clocking in around ~80 megs, so email me if you want-want.

6 comments:

Cheryl FM said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

That was awesome! I tried to find where you were, but failed.

How much of that was called out at the time, and how much was prepped ahead? How does that WORK?!?

Anonymous said...

Looked like a great time, nice work!

Lemming said...

I should write up a "Where's Waldo"-esque key or something for various times.

Everything was practiced in advance, and some there were changes to the routine as late as the day before (major change to one of the formation changes, in fact). Everything was called, which was a) a safety net and b) wiggle room for some of the parts where we might not make the transitions in time.

Thing is, all of the moves (except the weird skippy line dance) and even some of the formation changes can be called and will just work. The Virginia reel-looking part can be called (and lead from the caller), but the split into four circles doesn't work unless you arrange it. The criss-cross, right near the beginning where girls get sent across the middle to the other side, can also be called if you have a smaller circle, but figuring out your place in that move is O(N), so it doesn't work in bigger circles. Breaking to two circles was pre-determined. Breaking into even smaller circles and then reforming the big circle is, actually, entirely callable (and I've called it in casual rueda). Some things, like the tricks at 3:40 in the video, are also callable, but you better be damn sure your circle can do it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I sure enjoying watching the video. I'm glad that it went well for all of you after all that work. Hmmmm. Maybe Jenn can steal some of those moves for our next clogging routine. :D

Lemming said...

Oh, and the distribution of skill levels was incredible. We had students from all three levels of rueda classes (think beg, int, adv), salseros who had never even danced rueda before, and even a few instructors/professional dancers.

Lidarose said...

Wow -- that was quite stunning. I can't wait to see the high-def version!