Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tidbits

  • The date is set for the Let's Dance Student Showcase: May 6th. Our Rueda III class has morphed into a performance team, and if all goes well, we'll be doing a routine. Yay.
  • I'm playing through Final Fantasy VI Advance. Yes, I've played this game before. Many times. Maybe I'll do a report on the re-translation at some point. Anyway: good.
  • I've been invited to join the regular, long-term program at the martial arts school I attend, which is invitation only. It's more about showing up and working hard than any measure of skill, but it's still nice. I'll have to consider it carefully, though, since it's more expensive and my financial landscape may be changing (see next).
  • Life altering possibilities ahead! I may have the opportunity to join the Applied Math department here at Caltech as a PhD student. It's actually a serious possibility at this point, with a lot going for it -- but the details deserve a post of their own, maybe in a week or so when the smoke clears.

7 comments:

Mason said...

Ah, life-altering possibilities. Those can be very exciting. (Hell, my job opportunity/decision certainly had a substantial effect on my life. I anticipate this one having the biggest effect since my coming to Caltech in the first place.)

Jenny said...

NO TIM! DON'T DO IT! DON'T JOIN THE DARK SIDE OF TURKEY-DOM! SAVE YOUR SOUL WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME!

Cheryl FM said...

C'mon, go turkey! We might be able to compare stories in like a year and change...when I finally am settled long enough to start AND complete a program...:)

Cheryl FM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mason said...

The term 'grad turkey' doesn't seem to be in use anymore, though I'm doing my best to try and bring it back.

It appears in _Legends III_ (actually, because one of the grad students who sent us something called herself a grad turkey). And I'll spread it around to people I know individually. (I got it from Agnes.)

Lemming said...

Like I said, details forthcoming, but if it pans out, there are some really nice aspects to it. Argh...

And, seriously, I still use "turkey" sometimes when talking with other techers. I did get sick of explaining it in other circles, however.

Mason said...

I sometimes use it. One time, at the March Meeting, Jing and Travis were over playing games with my roommate (a non-Techer) and me after dinner. I was referring to another GT postdoc who was a grad turkey at Caltech and I used that term in the process without thinking. (Basically, when there are a couple of other Techers around, my speech will revert. The non-Techers nearby tend to feel a mixture of amusement and confusion because in many ways undergrads at Tech speak to each other in a different language.)

As I mentioned, if I have anything to say about it, the term 'grad turkey' will return. I will sometimes consciously not use it to avoid explaining it, but sometimes (as above) it just comes out without thinking.

A couple of months ago, I used the term 'slAvery House' when talking to a current undergrad. She had never heard it before, but she appreciated it immediately. However, I don't know how widespread that term ever was -- I can only think of a few people who I remember using that term, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was reasonably common at some point.