Thursday, March 01, 2007

Movies galore

We watched a lot of movies over the past few days, for some reason. Mini-reviews commence!

Idiocracy - Entertaining Mike Judge film. A few good moments, but nothing fantastic.

The Prestige - Good, solid movie. Interesting twists, which you may or may not catch in advance -- the hints become more and more plentiful right up to the reveal, so you'll at least have plenty to think about.

Crank - Retarded fun -- a hitman is poisoned in such a way that he'll die if he lets his heart rate slow down. Great for a throwaway action movie, and they had the sense not to waste a lot of time on "plot".

Little Miss Sunshine - You probably already know how much I adore dysfunctional family movies. Arkin's Oscar was well-deserved, but he was in good company -- great performances all around. I found the actual pageant horribly unnerving, but I imagine that was part of the point. This would be a fantastic movie if they had done something else for the last 15-20 minutes or so.

The Departed - I didn't realize until after we watched this last night that it won Best Picture. Given that, I don't think my review can bring anything new, so I'll just say, "Don't fuck with Wahlberg".

1 comment:

Mason said...

I second the statement about not fucking with Wahlberg. He's a badass. I think he has officially earned the right not to be mocked any longer for those long-gone "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch" days. His New Kids brother Donnie, on the other hand, is still a viable target (unless, of course, Mark is backing him up).

Arkin was my pick for that Oscar. I haven't gotten around to writing my Oscar-wrap up blog yet, but I'll try to do that tonight.