Well, that's what I get for trying to catch a can of Dr Pepper with my face. It's a shame, too -- if I could have gotten the injury tomorrow night instead, it would at least be justified, since we're going to see the Dropkick Murphys (you see, Wendell busted open his face when we went and saw The Offspring a few years back. That was an evening).
Why do I always end going to the Huntington Hospital ER between 9pm and 12am? Seriously, you don't want to know how many times I've ended up there, always late in the evening. At least only about half of my visits have been for myself.
Wait time was about 2.5 hours, dead on the average for me. Same nurse as when I choked on the london broil three years ago, actually, and he (sadly, no, not a she) remembered me too. Worst part of the whole affair (besides the waiting) was cleaning out the giant coagulated mess of blood that built up while I was in the waiting room. At least I had my recently-purchased copy of FF VI Advance to keep me busy.
Also, yay for Kaiser -- it's a huge improvement over my old insurance, which was always a massive hassle with nearly four times the co-pay to boot. I don't even have my Kaiser card yet, but everything processed a-ok, a vast improvement over every other friggin' visit I've had.

12 comments:
Famous last words: I've never been to that hospital.
Also, I heard rumors that your injury actually came from kung fu.
Lemming: I can tell you they don't get you in and out any quicker when you come into the completely empty ER at that hospital at 6 a.m. I did that several years ago (2002?) due to a crushed index finger (long boring story how) and though I had a relatively good experience it still took awhile. Plus I learned that it is best to be very assertive about one's propensity for passing out if given a shot -- the nurse wouldn't listen to my rather feeble protestation and I passed out on him.... (Maybe they only have male nurses at this ER?)
p.s. I hope my son was not the Dr. Pepper pitcher... and I hope you feel better soon!
mason -- don't I wish, that'd be a better story.
lidarose -- I can't say he wasn't, so how about we compromise and I just don't say he was?
Also, my experience with the nurses at the Huntington (about half male? maybe a little more) has been pretty good.
When I went in for choking on some food a few years ago, the doctor had the nurse come in with some medicine to induce vomiting... that I was supposed to take orally. The nurse appreciated the incredulous look I gave him, and was ready when I coughed it back out 5 seconds later.
Half-male nurses? WTF? Are they like half-elves or half-fairies or something?
Also, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :)
So, I guess this happened a few days ago. How come I'm just finding out now? Looks like you got hit in about the same place I tangled with a wall - except on other side of the face. I'm glad it wasn't more serious.
I'm guessing "I didn't think to tell you" would get me in trouble, so instead I guess I should change my story to, "I didn't want you to worry"?
Okay, I'm sorry I asked... Maybe you-all should switch to drinking bottled water -- it comes in nice soft plastic bottles with round edges and now you can get it in lots of flavors, too, besides plain...
Well then obviously you've never heard of the water bottle game.
I would like to emphasise that the following is not a joke, and is in fact a game I have seen played on several occasions. I only played that one time, though, honest.
Two players sit opposite one another. One player holds a water bottle sideways, and the other tilts his head down, presenting his forehead.
The player with the water bottle procedes to throw the bottle at the other players forehead.
At this point the thrower/throwee switch (not positions, just roles), and play procedes until the bottle breaks open.
Also, I'm afraid to say that everyone I've ever see play this game was completely sober.
Most comments on a Lemming blog entry ever? Clearly, you should get injured more often...
Can we have an updated picture? The other one is beginning to make me feel a little queasy...
Sorry lidarose, I just took a few shots with my camera, but they look even nastier. I did get the stitches out today, and the cut itself is healing nicely, but the bruises have entered a whole new phase of exciting colors. I don't normally notice it, but up close they look... well, we're better off with the stitches. Maybe I'll replace the picture anyway.
Mason -- you may be right. Reminds me of the Evil Dead I/II/Army of Darkness drinking game.
Post a Comment