Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Upcoming performance

As I've mentioned to some of you, I'm going to be performing as part of a student rueda team at the Granada next very soon now. Every year they put on a student showcase, and we've got a big, fun group putting on a rueda routine.

So, yeah, I'm excited. The date is May 6th, and we only have 2 full practices left (and a few smaller practices with only part of the team). No, of course we don't know the full routine. I think we've got the first three minutes out of nearly five, and we know a few pieces that take up most of the remaining time, but haven't really fit them together yet.

One interesting thing is that we have a really big group performing -- 16 couples, 32 people in all. Typically you'd be looking at something like 3-8 couples, 6-16 people, so we've got double up on the high end. The upshot is that the patterns and choreo look really slick, especially when we break in and out of smaller circles, but the flipside is that we've simplified a few of the moves to make them easier -- with larger number of dancers it's better to pick something that we can all nail. I'm cool with that, too. Anyone who's willing to practice and work at it, I'm happy to perform with. I've got the dreaded white-man's disease myself, but at least I'm being treated for it.

Now, whether or not people have been taking practice seriously is another matter. Many people show up chronically late with no good reason week after week -- coming in as much as 30 to 40 minutes late. It really sucks when we have to keep adjusting the arrangement for the day based on who is/isn't there, and of course the large number of dancers just makes it worse.

Oh well! It'll be fun, it'll (hopefully) be recorded so I can share, and when it's all over I get to relax. The song, in case anyone is wondering, will be Acuyuye by DLG. I'd never heard of it before, but then again I still don't know my salsa music for squat.

No comments: