Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Unicorn chasers? Not quite

Anyone who reads Boingboing regularly might be familiar with the concept of unicorn chasers -- posting super-cutesy pictures of unicorns to help wash the eyes after something particularly nasty gets posted. I'd like to start a similar tradition here.

Occasionally I come across a snippet of news, usually buried in something else, that actually helps restore my faith in humanity. Remember those inspirational chain emails that I hate so much? Things like that, only they actually mean something to me. Sometimes I'd like to post s0mething that, for whatever reason, made me feel a little bit of hope -- yeah, I know, what an out-modded concept.

Introducing: rant chasers! (decent name pending)

Whenever I post a rant post (or similar whining), I'll try to post a chaser. You know my rant about Boston (SRSLY, do you need a link to halfway down the page?)? Well, I owe you one.

Captions from a set of vacation photos, posted on Something Awful (not your usual source of uplifting material):

"The Landmine Museum"

No, keep going...

"Created by a man who was forced as a child to lay mines for the Khmer Rouge, then again for the Cambodian government."

That's still not it, keep reading...

" As an adult he leads a group that removes landmines. This is as dangerous as you would imagine."

Oh.

(Ignore the seemingly NSFW title across the link -- perfectly SFW, that's SA humor for you.)

1 comment:

Mason said...

First, the name rant chaser is a big win.

Second, some of those pictures are sweet.

Third, the coke cup makes me think of the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy."