Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A random collection of notes

Hilbert Curves are awesome. In addition to appearing in a recent XKCD, I've been thinking about using them as a memory optimization technique in our code -- they are one way of performing very cache-friendly iteration over multidimensional arrays.

I have just discovered The Daily WTF, a blog reminiscent of Scott Adams' tales of "induhviduals", but specifically regarding programming (or other tech). Just because mistakes are a great way to learn doesn't mean you have to make them yourself! The poetry at the end of this little gem is fantastic, and shows that sometimes even suits might have a good sense of humor regarding past mistakes.

Speaking of The Daily WTF, I found it while reading this thread on Slashdot. A good, useful Ask Slashdot question, and some of the replies are very insightful. Choose your moderation threshold carefully, as always.

As usual, Threadless has awesome t-shirts, including some specifically for the holidays.

So, apparently Jackie Chan starred in an adult film when he was still struggling to get his start. I'm glad he doesn't seem to think he needs to apologize for this.

3 comments:

Mason said...

I'm glad you put a link to the wikipedia entry for Hilbert curves because it's jogged my memory for when I first saw them---namely, when studying things like fractals and (very likely, to be more specific) Haussdorf dimensions.

The 'I want to be friends' t-shirt is really funny. It also has a nice meta-quality that does indeed make it clever despite its text to the contrary.

Lemming said...

I also like how there's a table listing the fractal dimension of crumpled balls of paper as ~2.5 (experimentally determined to be "somewhere between two and three" when you follow the link).

Mason said...

I know someone (now on the faculty of U of Arizona) who studied paper crumbling as a variational problem.

I forgot to mention that it's great that Jackie Chan won't apologize for his early movie role. You do what you need to get started.