Thursday, November 08, 2007

Word-post metapost

I am following Z's plan without question, protest, or pity.

* * *

I think I'm good at sniffing out the potential for a joke. Not a good joke, mind you, but I have a fairly good sense for identifying a pair of ideas that, when juxtaposed, can become a punchline. Even if it's just a simple pun -- or, perhaps more accurately, especially if it's just a simple pun. (Thanks, Papa, I only have you to blame.)

I'm not as good, however, at the setup, which is where I feel the art of the craft really lies. How do you create a convincing enough approach so that they never see it coming? Better yet, how do you keep the build-up entertaining in its own right? Ideally, you keep them busy and distracted with mildly amusing banter until BAM!, the punchline hits them sideways (flanking bonus!).

What goes into constructing a joke can be even more interesting than the joke -- putting it together, seeing it come together... it's neat! Nowadays, when I have the inspiration for a punchline, but I don't have the means for delivering it, I just share it anyway. Rather sharing the joke, a few friends and I can share in the creation of the joke, allowing me to mooch off of them for the real work. Even if it's fairly simple or quick, I think I find the end result, when we've agreed on the "best" joke, is even more rewarding than just telling the joke outright would have been.

So, now that I've said all of that, let me get to my point. The moment I read Z's post, I knew immediately what I wanted to post in response -- a pointless, rambling story, that ended in a sound-alike pun -- the worst of the worst, when it comes to jokes. I'm still going to end on that same text, but instead of a punchline, I'm leaving you with a prototype. (Ellipses are just a placeholder.)

* * *

. . .", murmured Don.

3 comments:

Mason said...

Nice. I approve.

Zifnab said...

Excellent, I like it. :)

Lanth said...

This American Life recently had a segment on exactly that problem; how do you construct the perfect setup for a given punchline? The case in question was a TV comedy writer who waited years to get the perfect setup (and was lucky enough to have it all be recorded)

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1208
See act 4.