Monday, May 19, 2008

WHAT?

So, I read that they're remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still, one of the best classics from silver screen sci fi.

But they're making it an environmental catastrophe movie? WHAT?

This comment on Slashdot sums it up.

7 comments:

Mason said...

Hmmm... I've never seen the original. I really ought to do that...

Travis said...

I haven't seen the original, but this sounds like an unnecessary remake. IMO, what the world needs isn't more remakes of classic films, but remakes of crappy movies that had potential, in a way that surpasses the original material. I'm sure there are examples out there but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

That said, I'm going to be contrary and defend their decision to change the focus of the story. Certainly the subject of man's violent nature is a timeless one, but what gave The Day the Earth Stood Still particular relevance during the cold war was the existential threat to humanity of nuclear annihilation. In today's world, though, this threat isn't as immediate; instead the major, imminent threat to humanity of our time is catastrophic climate change. So in that sense, the switch to an environmental theme is more faithful to the spirit of the original film than a simple rehash would have been.

But still, Keanu Reeves? This is going to suck.

Mason said...

I haven't seen the original Casino Royale, but anyway that's a specific example for Travis that comes to mind.

Lemming said...

Good point. Gone in 60 Seconds could be another example. Many people don't think the remake was good (though I enjoyed it), but I've yet to meet anyone who didn't think it was an improvement.

Part of the appeal of the original to me, though, seems like it's going to be lost. While Klaatu was benevolent, his mission wasn't. He wanted to save mankind from itself, but his mission was to save his own kind from humanity. Or at least that was my take.

That, and the whole thing of acting irrationally out of fear where the two big points I walked away with.

Hrm, I'm tired, probably not coherent. I'm disappointed, but I like both of your points.

And Casino Royale, even though I haven't seen the original, is likely the perfect example, Mason.

Mason said...

I never saw the original Gone in 60 Seconds, but I didn't like the remake at all. (I saw it with you guys, and I think I was in a minority of 1 with my opinion of the film, but anyway it just didn't do it for me.)

Jenny said...

A better example is Ocean's 11. The Rat Pack version is BORING and you can see the twist in the heist coming a mile off. It's really just an excuse for the Rat Pack to hang out in Vegas together. The remake was MUCH better and had a much better heist.

ROSELINE DAVIDSON said...

I'm Olivia Megan from United State,I'm happy that my husband is back into my life after 2 years of divorce, Dr.AKHERE brought my husband back today and i am so excited. I got DR AKHERE email online when a lady was testifying about the strong spell caster who restored her marriage then I said to myself since he helped her, he can also help me,so i emailed him and told him the pain that I was going through,and he told me what to do and i did it,Then he did an urgent Love spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came back home and with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me. Then from that day,our marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to DR AKHERE. Our family is complete again. If you are going through Divorce/Broke-up since DR AKHERE helped me, he can also help you..email him at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ,Thank you DR AKHERE for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me.
Email him: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346