Thursday, June 21, 2007

Raging Roids

Beautiful, isn't it?

I've been looking for a good programming side project for a while, and I finally came across an idea that was simultaneously simple and (potentially) fun -- write a remake of "Asteroids".

I'm not really reaching for the stars here, just something functional, with and without the "ctional". The picture is a screenshot of the program so far -- the little arrow aligns itself to always point at the mouse cursor. Fancy!

For the next step, I don't know whether to start on gamestate (which will help me flesh out the currently very skeletal event handler) or to record myself saying "pew, pew!" and work on the sound subsystem.

Here's what I'm using:
  • Code in C++

  • SDL/OpenGL for graphics (essentially 2D vector graphics)

  • SDL_mixer for audio (FMOD is also intriguing, but is harder to install)

  • My usual set of dev tools: emacs, g++, make, gdb, valgrind

Having a program that displays a spinning red arrow is a far cry from a game of asteroids, but I'm over the initial hump -- I've got something up and running that I can edit and add to as I have free time (ha!).

Hopefully, every week or two I'll make a new post detailing what's new, what's next, what's been challenging, that sort of thing.

2 comments:

Mason said...

Hey, maybe generalize Asteroids so that the ship traverses a manifold different from a 2-torus? :)

Lemming said...

Would you believe me if I said I had already planned to do that? Or, more precisely, try. My plan is to have only a reasonably small amount of work between me and "done", but also have a lot of room for play and experimentation after that if I feel like it.